As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can read my full disclosure statement here.
This hot cocoa in a jar gift idea, is a fun and simple thing to make and give as gifts all winter long! They're easy to make with simple ingredients, and everyone loves them! Get the recipe, assembly tutorial, and free printable tags down below!
This holiday season, make this cute homemade hot chocolate mix with mini marshmallows to give as holiday gifts, hostess gifts, teacher gift, neighbor gifts or wherever a cute little gift idea is needed! Pair with the popular hot chocolate bombs to kick the gift giving up a notch!
Or pair with our Christmas Tree Rice Krispie Treats for a fun and easy gift idea for this time of year! Or make these up for Santa himself and help your kids put them out on Christmas Eve!
Or pair with these easy and yummy Valentine's Day Raspberry Cream Cheese Danish Pastries as a gift for Valentine's Day, a birthday or Mother's Day!
Another perfect gift idea, is doing a gift basket full of DIY items, such as our many DIY Bath and Beauty products like this DIY Whipped Peppermint Sugar Scrub, and including the hot cocoa mix in a jar to go along inside the gift basket!
If the holiday season is in full swing, and you are just too busy to make these now, think about gifting them for Valentine's Day instead! You could pair this homemade hot cocoa recipe with these DIY Rose Heart Bath Bombs for a sweet romantic gift or a perfect thoughtful gift for your kids!
No matter how you slice it, this hot cocoa mix recipe in cute jars is the perfect simple gift during these cold winter months. Who doesn't like to warm up with a nice warm cup of cocoa?
Supplies & Ingredients Needed for the Hot Cocoa in a Jar Gift Idea:
This tutorial makes two 16 oz mason jars, and each jar has 8 individual servings, so a total of 16 servings of hot cocoa between the two jars. Or, you can use one larger 32 oz jar, and just put all of the ingredients into a single larger jar for a total of 16 servings.
Equipment Supplies List to Decorate the Jars:
- Printable instructions tags (download and print with button below)
- (2) 16 oz mason jar with lids
- Paper cutter (optional)
- Hole punch
- Scissors (not shown)
- Bakers twine or ribbon
Ingredients List for the Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup whole milk powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips
- 1 - 1 ½ cup mini marshmallows
HOW TO MAKE THE HOT COCOA IN A JAR GIFT IDEA:
- Layer the jar ingredients into the two 16 oz mason jars. The order of layering should be ½ cup sugar, ½ cup cocoa powder, ¼ cup powdered milk, ¼ cup chocolate chips, marshmallows to the top of the jar. If using a single 32 oz jar, double the quantities of each layer.
- Once your jars are layered, screw the jar lid on.
- To decorate, print the instructions tags. (see large red button above in the supplies list to download the pdf for the tags).
- Cut the tags out using a paper cutter or scissors.
- Punch a hole in the top left corner of each tag, about ¼ inch from the edges.
- Cut the bakers twine (or ribbon) about 3 feet long, and wrap around the rim of the jar multiple times. Do this for each jar.
- Stick one end of bakers twine through the hole in the tag, then tie the ends into a bow.
- Now your hot cocoa gift jars are done and ready for gifting!
NOTE: If you would like to make your own gift tags instead of downloading the free printable gift tags I have made available to you, the instructions for brewing the hot cocoa should be written as this: Pour the contents of hot cocoa mix from the jar into a large bowl and stir. Add ¼ cup of the mix to each mug, and stir in 8 oz of hot water or warm milk and stir. Sip and enjoy!
Hot Cocoa in a Jar Gift Idea
- Using a wide funnel, layer the ingredients in the jar. The order of layering should be ½ cup sugar, ½ cup cocoa powder, ¼ cup powdered milk, ¼ cup chocolate chips, and add marshmallows to the top of the jar.
- Once your jars are layered, screw the lids on.
- To decorate the jars, print the instructions tags (look above the recipe card, in the step by step instructions for the button to download the pdf file for the tags).
- Cut the tags out using a paper cutter or scissors.
- Punch a hole in the top left corner of the tag, about ¼ inch from the edges.
- Cut the bakers twine (or ribbon) about 3 feet long, and wrap around the rim of the jar multiple times.
- Stick one end of the bakers twine through the hole in the tag, then tie the ends into a bow.
- Repeat for second jar, and now your cocoa jars are ready for gifting!
CUSTOMIZE YOUR HOT COCOA MIX IN A JAR WITH DIFFERENT VARIATIONS!
Once you make these, you may want to try and mix up the steps in different ways to your own liking to make your very own version of homemade cocoa mix in jars!
- use white chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate chips
- make smaller jars using 8-ounce mason jars and halve the ingredients per each jar
- find some cute free printable labels online to decorate the front of the jar with
- use a flavored hot cocoa powder instead of the unsweetened cocoa powder and sugar combination, such as peppermint hot cocoa, salted caramel hot cocoa or chocolate raspberry hot cocoa
- include candy canes with your jar as a stir stick for the hot cocoa
I hope you enjoyed making this hot cocoa in a jar gift idea that all chocolate lovers are sure to love!! Check back regularly as I hope to have more DIY craft tutorials and mason jar gift ideas posted soon.
Want to Remember This?
Pease share "Hot Cocoa in a Jar Gift Idea" on Pinterest to your favorite Christmas, Gift or Recipe board!