As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can read my full disclosure statement here.
This easy cookie recipe for Hot Cocoa Cake Mix Cookies with Candy Cane and Marshmallow, is sure to become a quick family favorite! This is one of my favorite cookie recipes at Christmas time and I am excited to share it with you!
These delicious cookies start with a cake mix base, and are finished off with a marshmallow center, then drizzled in chocolate and sprinkled with candy cane pieces. Perfect for your holiday cookie swap, or to give as a gift paired with this Hot Cocoa in a Jar Gift Idea!
This batch of cookies is perfect with a mug of hot chocolate, or for adding to your holiday cookie baking session! This hot chocolate cookie recipe is a delicious dessert for any festive holiday occasion!
Add these fudgy cookies to your plans this holiday season and bring them to the holiday party or potlucks that are coming up! They are the perfect holiday treats and the chocolate and peppermint combo is sure to be a hit!
Pair these with a yummy Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha and treat yourself. 🙂
How to Make Hot Cocoa Cake Mix Cookies with Candy Canes & Marshmallows:
Servings: 24 cookies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Decorating Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
Storage: Store in an airtight container
Equipment you will need for these Hot Chocolate Peppermint cookies:
Ingredients for the Hot Cocoa Cookies:
- 13.25 oz box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 2 Tablespoon (or 1 packet) hot cocoa mix
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 12 marshmallows, cut in half
- ⅓ cup chopped baking chocolate, melted
- 3 peppermint candy canes, crushed
Directions for the Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- Add the cake mix, hot chocolate mix, eggs, and oil to a large bowl, and stir until a dough forms.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto a baking sheet, 2-3 inches apart. Using a cookie scoop ensures that all the cookies will be uniform in size.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven (see next step), and bake for 7 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, cut each large marshmallow in half. Also, add the candy canes to a ziplock bag, and use a rolling pin to crush them by banging on the baggie gently.
- After the cookies have baked for 7 minutes, remove from the oven, and place one half of a marshmallow in the center. Return to the oven, and bake for an additional one minute
- Remove from the oven.
- Add the baking chocolate to a piping bag, and heat in 15 second intervals in the microwave, squishing the bag after each turn in the microwave to mix the chocolate thoroughly. Repeat until the chocolate is melted.
- Snip off the tip of the piping bag, then drizzle chocolate over the top of the cookies. Sprinkle crushed candy canes over the melted chocolate and move to a cooling rack.
NOTE: For best results and for soft chewy cookies, do not overbake them!
Now that you have made these, I hope you will sit down with your family with a warm cup of hot chocolate and enjoy the holiday season together during this special time of year! Enjoy these yummy cookies together and make some special memories by leaving some out for Santa on Christmas Eve!
Be sure to make up a couple of batches of this easy recipe, and share these in your holiday cookie exchange too!
Hot Cocoa Peppermint Cake Mix Cookies Variations:
Some variations to these Hot Cocoa Cookies that you can make:
- You can use peppermint candies in place of the candy canes.
- You can use a few mini marshmallows or marshmallow bits instead of cutting larger marshmallows in half.
- You can add a splash of peppermint extract to the cookie dough for added peppermint flavor.
- You can add white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips to the cookie batter if you like.
- You can sprinkle the top with powdered sugar for a different look!
- Skip the candy cane if peppermint is not your thing, and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips or festive Christmas sprinkles instead!
Hot Cocoa Cake Mix Cookies with Candy Cane
- 1 Rolling Pin or meat mallet
- Preheat the oven to 350 degees farenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add cake mix, hot cocoa mix, eggs and oil to a large bowl, and stir until dough forms.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop 12 spoonfuls onto a baking sheet, 2-3 inches apart. Prepare a second baking sheet, or reuse the first one after the first batch is cooked.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the preheated oven (see next steps), and bake for 7 minues.
- While the cookies are baking, cut the marshmallows in half. Also, add the candy canes to a zip top baggy and use a rolling pin or meat mallet to crush them inside the bag.
- After the cookies have baked for 7 minutes, remove from the oven, and place one half of a marchmallow in the center of each cookie. Return to the oven and bake for an additional minute, or until the marshmallow has melted.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven.
- Add the chocolate to a piping bag, and heat in 15 second intervals in the microwave, until melted.
- Snip the end off the piping bag, then drizzle the melted chocolate over the centers of the cookies. Sprinkle the curshed candy can over the melted chocolate drizzle.
Want to Remember This?
Be sure to share this great recipe! Pin it for later reference!
Pin "Hot Cocoa Cake Mix Cookies with Candy Cane & Marshmallow" on Pinterest to your favorite Recipe board so you can find it again easily! Or share on Facebook too!