As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can read my full disclosure statement here.
Now that fall is in the air, it is Pumpkin Spice season! Some of my favorite flavors are big at this time of year, apples, cinnamon, pumpkin...YUM! It's time to start those chilly mornings off right with a nice hearty warm breakfast, a bowl of Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oats!
(Updated August 2020) Awhile back, I shared with you how to Preserve your Pumpkin and Winter Squash by Roasting and Freezing. With this recipe, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite ways to use up some of that frozen pumpkin.
When the mornings are chilly, there is nothing like a warm bowl of hearty pumpkin spice steel cut oats to warm your soul. Add in a little maple syrup, pumpkin spice and some pecans or walnuts, and life is good. Even the kids will like it!
This is a whole foods vegetarian recipe that can easily be made vegan/plant based depending on which type of milk you choose to use. I hope you enjoy this recipe for Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oats as much as I do!
I like Bob's Red Mill Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats, as they cook in 7 minutes instead of 20. I am not a morning person to begin with, so anything that makes my morning quick and easy is a good thing!
You will also need Pumpkin Puree (to make your own for the freezer, see my post from last week here) and Pumpkin Pie Spice. You can make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice by mixing together 4 spices. Mix 1 tspn of ground cinnamon, 1/4 tspn of ground nutmeg, 1/4 tspn ground ginger and 1/8 tspn of ground cloves.
Cooking the Steel Cut Oats, Pumpkin & Spices:
Add the 2 cups water, 1 cup quick cook steel cut oats, 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and your pumpkin pie spice to a medium size pot that has a lid. Bring to a boil. Stir. Put lid on pot and turn down to a simmer for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Adding a Finishing Touch, a Little Maple Syrup:
When the 7 minutes are up, you may add a couple swirls of maple syrup to sweeten, approximately 1-2 TBSN's should do it. This is optional though, so if you are cutting out sugar, you can skip this step.
All Dished Up, Ready to Eat!
After stirring in the maple syrup, you are all ready to dish it up. According to the directions on the steel cut oats, this makes 4 servings. But they are kind of small servings. For adults, 3 servings is probably more realistic.
Optional ingredients are topping the steel cut oats with some chopped pecans or walnuts, and adding a splash of regular milk or plant based milk. I really hope you enjoy this Hearty Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oats recipe!
Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oats Recipe:
Hearty Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 tspn of Pumpkin Pie Spice to make your own, use 1 tspn of ground cinnamon, 1/4 tspn of nutmeg, 1/4 tspn ground ginger and 1/8 tspn of ground cloves
- 1-2 TBSN Maple Syrup optional
- 1 handful of chopped Pecans or Walnuts optional
- splash of milk or plant based milk optional
- Add water, quick cook steel cut oats, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice to a medium size saucepan with a lid. Bring to a boil and then stir. Immediately turn down to simmer and put a lid on the saucepan and stir occasionally and let simmer 7 minutes. Take off of heat. Stir in maple syrup to taste (if using).
- Serve the pumpkin steel cut oats in a bowl. Top with pecans or walnuts and a splash of milk and enjoy!
Want to Remember This?
Pin it for later reference! Pin Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oats on Pinterest to your favorite recipe board so you can find it again easily! Or share on Facebook too!